Sustainable Waste Management and Recycling
SOLID WASTE AND RECYCLING PROGRAM
The Town of Holliston’s Solid Waste and Recycling Program is detailed below. The Program is designed to provide opportunities to residents for recycling and waste reduction. If you have any questions about the Program or any suggestions, please contact E.L. Harvey at 800-321-3002 or 508-429-0608.
AUTOMATED CURBSIDE HOUSEHOLD TRASH COLLECTION AND PAY-AS-YOU-THROW
Household rubbish, trash and garbage can be placed in Town issued standard 35-gallon wheeled cart and placed at the curb by 7 a.m. each week on your collection day (see separate street pick up schedule). Carts should face the street (handle and wheels away from street) with at least 3 feet between carts.
Each cart has a forty (40) pound limit. Carts and bags containing food garbage can be sprayed with household ammonia to deter pests. The first standard 35-gallon cart of trash each week does not require a sticker. Additional bags of trash each require a $2.00 trash sticker.
Trash stickers are available at Town Hall (703 Washington Street), Rt. 16 Convenience (1566 Washington St.), Country Farms (429 Washington Street), Holliston True Value Hardware (58 Central Street), Holliston Superette (777 Washington Street) Central Cafe (92 Central Street). Senior citizens (65 years old or older, owner and occupant) can obtain up to six (6) free stickers per year at Town Hall.
Latex or water based paints can be allowed to harden by leaving them open to the air and then placed in the trash.
In the case of a lost or damaged carts, please contact E.L. Harvey at 800-321-3002. Note, the cost to replace a cart will be at the expense of the property owner.
AUTOMATED CURBSIDE COLLECTION OF RECYCLABLE MATERIALS
Standard 65-gallon Town issued recycling carts will be collected each week on the same day as trash collection (see collection schedule and routes). Carts should face the street (handle and wheels away from street) with at least 3 feet between carts.
In the case of a lost or damaged cart, please contact E.L. Harvey at 800-321-3002. Please note the cost to replace a cart will be at the expense of the property owner.
The following items can be placed inside the standard 65-gallon recycling carts at the curb:
- Paper – Paper and cardboard; empty and flatten. NO plastic bags, carbon paper, paper cups, napkins, plates, food residue or soiled paper.
- Glass – Glass bottles and jars; empty and rinse. NO broken glass, windows, light bulbs, drinking glasses or vases.
- Metal – Metal food and beverage cans; empty and rinse. NO paint or aerosol cans, propane tanks or other metal items.
- Plastic – Bottles, jars, tubs and jug items; empty and replace cap. NO plastic bags, motor oil or chemical containers or flowerpots.
Do not bag recyclables. No garbage, plastic bags, plastic wrap, food, liquid, clothing/ linen, or tanglers (hoses, wires, chains, or electronics). Visit https://recyclesmartma.org for more information.
More information on what can be recycled can be found by clicking on the Smart Recycling Guide Here.
Also tune into Mass Recycle 2019 Podcasts airing here:
CURBSIDE COLLECTION OF BULKY WASTE
Rugs and wood can be cut into three foot lengths, bundled and placed at the curb on your collection day. These items require a $2 dollar trash sticker.
Other bulky items such as furniture, mattresses, appliances, doors, water heaters and tires are picked up by calling Harvey at 800-321-3002 to schedule a collection day. Four (4) tires per year (without rims) but no more than one (1) tire per week may be placed at the curb for collection after calling E.L. Harvey at 800-321-3002.
The following materials will not be collected as curbside trash: televisions, monitors, building materials, construction waste, earth, stones and tree stumps – Televisions and Monitors can be brought to the Marshall Street recycling center with a $20 sticker; - Building materials and other construction waste must be separately disposed of by making arrangements with your contractor or a private trash disposal company.
Marshall Street Drop-Off Recycling Area
A Recycling sticker is now required to access the Marshall Street drop-off recycling area. A sticker can be obtained at the Treasurer s Office at Town Hall or onsite. A driver’s license and registration with a Holliston address is required.
Hours of Operations: Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The facility is open to Holliston residents only and the following items are accepted:
The Marshall Street Recycling Area accepts:
- Leaf and yard waste
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Electronic Waste, note an additional $20 sticker is required for televisions, monitors, exercise equipment and ride on mowers.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Day Collections
Drop off HHW at the Holliston Collection Day will be held SATURDAY July 13, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 Noon @ the Robert Adams Middle School 323 Woodland Street. Please consult the attached list on what types of materials can be collected. Note Holliston is part of a consortium and residents are eligible to attend other events listed below. If you would like to go to another town, please go to the Selectman’s office to get a voucher to attend. See the attached reciprocal agreement.
March 23, 2019
9am - 1pm
May 4th 2019
9am - 12pm
May 11, 2019
9am - 1pm
June 22, 2019
9am - 1pm
Home Composting to divert leaf and food waste
Home composting bins are for sale at a reduced rate of $22 at the Town Hall. See a demonstration compost bin at the Holliston Community Farm.
- Home Composting: A Guide to for composting yard and food waste
- Composting Bin Instructions
- Composting kit assembly video
Textiles including clothing, shoes, or other textiles (linens, socks, fabric) that you no longer wear or use can be recycled. Don’t throw them away! Use the MassDEP-supported Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory to search by type of material and location to find out where in Massachusetts to recycle, reuse, or re-purpose items that don’t belong in your household recycling bin. For more information on where to recycle check out https://www.mass.gov/guides/massdep-textile-recovery
OTHER RECYCLING OPPORTUNITIES
- Plastic grocery bags, plastic newspaper bags and other clear or light-colored plastic bags can be recycled at grocery stores. Click here for details on all types of film plastic acceptable through store drop-off.
- Clothing items can be brought to the Planet Aid collection bin located at Holliston Oil Service, Inc., on Woodland Street and the Saint Vincent DePaul bin behind Saint Mary's Church.
- Gas grill propane tanks can be returned to businesses that refill them for a small fee, including EN-R-GY Saver, 1470 Washington Street, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday (there is a tank disposal fee).
- Motor oil can be recycled at the place of purchase.
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats can be exchanged for digital thermometers at Town Hall, Selectmen’s Office, 703 Washington Street.
- Composting kits are available for purchase through the Selectmen’s Office at Town Hall for $22.
- Plastic plant pots and flat trays can be recycled in bins at Weston Nurseries, 91 East Main Street, Hopkinton. Rechargeable batteries (cell phones, cameras, power tools) are accepted at Holliston True Value Hardware at 58 Central Street. Other batteries can be recycled at Home Depot, Lowes or Best Buy.
- Wire hangers can be taken to dry cleaning establishments.
- Books are accepted at a collection containers located n the Holliston High School parking lot.
- CDs and DVDs are accepted at a collection container in the Holliston High School parking lot.
Holliston by the numbers for 2017
- 4,530 Households served
- Tons solid waste: 3577.81 tons (not including bulky trash)
- Tons recycling: 1614.58 tons
- Percent of waste recycled: 31% (1614 / (1614+3577))
Whenever a scheduled collection day falls on a holiday, that day's collection and all remaining collections for the week will be delayed one day. Friday's collection will be on Saturday. Holidays observed are: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, Patriot's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
CURBSIDE COLLECTION PROBLEMS
To report that your trash or recycling has not been picked up or to report other problems with the curbside service, call. Harvey Customer Service at 800-321-3002.