Both the Asian Long-Horned Beetle and the Emerald Ash Borer are invasive beetles that have been found in Massachusetts. These beetles have the ability to destroy our hardwood forests if they go undetected. They can be transported to new areas in infested firewood, so please do not move firewood to another property or out-of-town, because it could unknowingly spread the invasive beetles to new locations. It is very important to keep an eye out for both beetles and report any discoveries. See the FACT SHEET links below for more information on these invasive beetles.
If you believe you have found the Asian Long-Horned Beetle or the Emerald Ash Borer, please call the Conservation Commission at 508-429-0607. If we are not it the office, you may also call the Pest Hotline numbers listed below.
Found something odd?
- Get a specimen or a photo!
- Save specimens in a container in the freezer, or in a jar with rubbing alcohol
- Report Online: http://massnrc.org/pests
- Pest Hotlines:
- Asian Long-Horned Beetle Hotline: 1-866-702-9938
- Emerald Ash Borer Hotline: 1-866-322-4512
- Massachusetts Dept. of Agriculture Pest Hotline: 617-626-1779